Thursday, February 15, 2007

Survival of the fittest

The good old viral flu brought me down last week and as usual I popped in couple of paracetamol tablets and to my surprise they did not have the normal effect. Though the symptoms were all there bad throat , body pain initially I chose not to go to the doctor as from the last experiences - most of them have their pet medicines which they will prescribe which any regular patient can predict. Since I was getting bogged down I decided to anyways pay a visit to the company doctor and not to my surprise she handed my some anti allergies and a cough syrup in spite of explaining the state of my body and the bad throat.

I kept wondering why the medicines did not have the desired effect. Probably Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest came into play. Here I was every time felt uncomfortable popped the medicines un mindful of the actual dosage to be taken every time and when the flu's effect starts to wear off and medicines also go back to their usual place. The virus and developed some sort of immunity due to lack of proper dosage and as time is passing the so called 100 and 250 mgs of combination dosage don't have any effect and I am moving to the higher forms of dosage. To day it is normal to find medicines with 650 mg + for normal ailments.

This time I had to resort to a very strong antibiotic 500 mg which can be taken only once a day to make me stand and run again ( this is the 4 time in last 6 months though). I have observed while taking medicines any chemist shop - the number of people taking advice from the chemist for that odd headache or body ache is pretty high and the guy over the counter gleefully advices and doles out one or two tabs ( after all he has a social responsibility to perform) even if the tab/capsule carries the redundant warning " Schedule H drug" - to be given only on prescription.

No comments: