Monday, December 18, 2006

Police upholders of law ?

The other day I in a small group were travelling by train for a friends's marriag. Since we were sitting in a group two of our seats were vacant in the neighbouring compartment.At around 10 pm we suddenly see a policeman ( had a pistol ) barging in our vacant seats. Inspite of my repeatedly telling him that the seats belonged to us - he appeared deaf and sat on the vacant berth. Hearing my pleas one my colleagues a girl came and also pleaded but the guy sat like a stone. We then decided to ignore him for a while later he got up and went away leaving his luggage.

A man aged around 60 in the same compartment who was witnessing this whole scene immediately pullled me and said that the policeman is looking out for a berth and he may forcibly occupy the seat and adviced me to immediately sleep off . We took his advice put the policeman's luggage down and dozed off.

I kept wondering what is the stage of constabulary in this country. There have been numerous incidents in the recent past when the upholders of justice have themselves become villans. An average man seems to have little recourse in this country. Anyone who has been to a police station for whatever reason normally has only horror stories to tell.

Our rendezvous with the guy did not end. To our surprise the very next day when taking back the return train I find this guy again in the train trying to negotiate with the ticket collector for a vacant seat. In the morning he kept staring at me like a caged lion wanting to pounce on his next victim.

No comments: