Monday, January 29, 2007

When did I sing the national anthem last ?

As in the olden days this year I decided to watch the republic day parade. As lady luck smiled on me the parade was about to start when I switched on my idiot box - this year's chief guest Vladimir Putin was been received with a lot of warmth and after they were seated the our national anthem started - as it should come naturally I also started to sing along with the band. To my dismay towards the end I nearly fumbled on the exact words - it was very disgusting and felt a bit humiliated that I was not able to sing the anthem fluently. After school where you are forced to sing the anthem there are hardly any instances where it is mandatory later in life at least if you are an Indian Civilian .I was at pain to remember when did I last sing - my memory failed me.

It may not be as big I am making out but the old adage comes to mind " Do not think what the nation has given you but what you can give to the nation " - the problem here the nation is represented by the corrupt power hungry politicians and the bloated red taped bureaucracy , a nation where a vote is more important than a life. But when I see my contribution - actually nothing except the mandatory Tax I pay on my income. Some food for thought .........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do agree:)

Srirama Srinivasan said...

Well, if you ask me personally the last time I sang the National Anthem was this morning. Surprising...yet true...how i do that was, as a part of daily prayers to God, I have asked my daughter to sing the national anthem every day. So I sing along with her. This way she gets the song and the feeling behind it from an early age and I also see that this remains at our hearts for ever.

From a contribution point of view, I dont pay taxes as i am an NRI but i send all my savings in India and hence indirectly it helps.